YouthBuild is an educational program for youth ages 16 to 24 who have not completed high school. The program, located on our Sullivan Campus in Bogalusa, offers opportunities in HiSET, carpentry, mentoring, AmeriCorps and life skills.
- Student must be at least 16 to 24 years of age and a Washington Parish resident
- Student must take the TABE exam and score at least a 8.0 in Reading and a 6.0 in Math and Language
- Student must be drug free to remain in the program
- Student must obtain a formal withdrawal slip and other pertinent information from the last school attended
Components of YouthBuild:
- HiSET: This educational component creates opportunities for students to become more employable and fosters a life-long appreciation for learning.
- Carpentry: This component teaches students basic safety skills and provides an introduction to carpentry using hands-on training. Students are able to gain National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) and Carpentry Assistant certification.
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA): This component teaches students how to help patients by supporting personal hygiene and daily living needs, providing comfort, transportation and vital sign monitoring. Students will receive a CNA certificate upon completion.
- Life Skills: This component equips students with the necessities they need to become productive adults in today’s society. Instructional topics include Money Management, Career Planning, Substance Abuse Prevention, Hygiene, Community Involvement and Leadership Development, among others.
- AmeriCorps: This extended community service component helps students learn more about the community and earn educational awards for completing 450 service hours. The AmeriCorps coordinator will meet with each student about the requirements for becoming an AmeriCorps member. Students work with outside agencies, leading to potential job and learning about critical issues that affect the community while performing hands-on service work.
- Post-Secondary Education: This component prepares students for successful enrollment and completion at a post-secondary institution.
Advantages of YouthBuild:
- Utilizes a student centered approach to learning
- Provides preparation for Compass, ACT and SAT entrance exams
- Offers opportunities in community involvement, leadership and job shadowing
- Provides monetary incentives to learn
- Accelerates technical careers and provides quality education experience close to home
- Provides access to the same course content and curriculum offered on the Northshore Technical Community College campus
- Helps students acquire today's workforce skills
To register for the YouthBuild program, call 985-545-1622 or 985-545-1623.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.