As a veteran or dependent of a veteran attending Northshore Technical Community College, you may be eligible to receive benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs when pursuing a degree program. To be eligible for benefits, your classes must apply to one of the approved programs of study at NTCC. You must be enrolled full time to receive the full percentage of the eligible monthly stipend, but can receive a percentage of the eligible monthly stipend for less than full time.
Review one of the checklists below for step-by-step information about applying for veterans benefits.
- VA Checklist for New Students
- VA Checklist for Transfer Students
- VA Checklist for Continuing Students
How to Apply:
New Students (or Transfer Students)
Choose a program of study and schedule an advising appointment to register for classes.
1. Order your military transcripts/academic transcripts and request evaluation.
2. Apply for your Veterans Benefits (first use of benefits) OR complete a “Request for Change of Program or Place of Training – VA Form 22-1995 (if you have previously used benefits at another school). Dependents using veteran’s benefits must complete VA Form 22-5495.
3. Submit the following documents (via scan or to your campus location) as soon as possible the School Certifying Official (SCO)
- NTCC Request for VA Education Benefit
- NTCC Degree Audit
- Copy of your current “Certificate of Eligibility” from the Veterans Administration.
- Copy of DD-214
1. Schedule an advising appointment before registering for classes.
2. Submit the following documents (via scan or to your campus location) as soon as possible to the SCO:
- NTCC Request for VA Education Benefits
- NTCC Degree Audit-every semester
3. When ALL documents are submitted to SCO, we will certify your application via the Veteran Affairs Online Certification of Enrollment System (VA-ONCE).
As a recipient of Veterans Education Benefits, you are responsible for the following:
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress toward my educational degree.
- Notify the NTCC VA School Certifying Office of any class changes or Withdrawals. Failure to do so may result in termination of benefits and possibly having to repay initial VA Educational monthly awards.
- Enrolled in an approved program of study that leads to a degree or certificate and have all prior transcripts on file with Northshore Technical Community College.
- Provide a degree audit along with a Request for VA Education Benefits Request Form for every semester that you register for classes and wish to receive benefits.
- Understand that your will not be paid for courses previously passed at NTCC or other institutions. The Department of Veteran's will not pay for the repeat of satisfactorily completed courses (grades of A, B, C), except under special circumstances.
Types of Veterans Benefits accepted:
- Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill (Active Duty)
- Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation
- Chapter 33 – Post-9/11 GI Bill
- Chapter 35 – Survivor & Dependent Educational Assistance
- Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill (Selected Reserved/National Guard)
- Chapter 1607 – Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP)
- Title 29 State Tuition Exemption for Dependents (Must be full time and maintain a 2.0 GPA)
- Louisiana National Guard Tuition Only Waiver (Please contact the LA National Guard Education office to ensure eligibility of the tuition only waiver).
Students using the following chapters are required to verify their enrollment on the last day of each month they are enrolled in order to receive payment from the VA:
- Chapter 30
- Chapter 1606
- Chapter 1607
- Chapter 35 (if enrolled less than half time)
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
How to Apply for VA Benefits
Applying for Benefits using VONAPP
Login to E-Benefits
WAVE for Students to Verify Attendance
· 888-442-4551 – GI Bill Customer Service Line
877-823-2378 – GI Bill Enrollment Verification Line
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.