As a veteran or dependent of a veteran attending Northshore Technical Community College, you may be eligible to receive benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs when pursuing a degree program. To be eligible for benefits, your classes must apply to one of the approved programs of study at NTCC. You must be enrolled full time to receive the full percentage of the eligible monthly stipend, but can receive a percentage of the eligible monthly stipend for less than full time.
Review one of the checklists below for step-by-step information about applying for veterans benefits.
- VA Checklist for New Students
- VA Checklist for Transfer Students
- VA Checklist for Continuing Students
How to Apply:
New Students (or Transfer Students)
Choose a program of study and schedule an advising appointment to register for classes.
1. Order your military transcripts/academic transcripts and request evaluation.
2. Apply for your Veterans Benefits (first use of benefits) OR complete a “Request for Change of Program or Place of Training – VA Form 22-1995 (if you have previously used benefits at another school). Dependents using veteran’s benefits must complete VA Form 22-5495.
3. Submit the following documents (via scan or to your campus location) as soon as possible the School Certifying Official (SCO)
- NTCC Request for VA Education Benefit
- Copy of your current “Certificate of Eligibility” from the Veterans Administration.
- Copy of DD-214
1. Schedule an advising appointment before registering for classes.
2. Submit the following documents (via scan or to your campus location) as soon as possible to the SCO:
- NTCC Request for VA Education Benefits
3. When ALL documents are submitted to SCO, we will certify your application via the Veteran Affairs Online Certification of Enrollment System (VA-ONCE).
As a recipient of Veterans Education Benefits, you are responsible for the following:
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress toward my eucational degree.
- Notify the NTCC VA School Certifying Office of any class changes or Withdrawals. Failure to do so may result in termination of benefits and possibly having to repay initial VA Educational monthly awards.
- Enrolled in an approved program of study that leads to a degree or certificate and have all prior transcripts on file with Northshore Technical Community College.
- Provide a degree audit along with a Request for VA Education Benefits Request Form for every semester that you register for classes and wish to receive benefits.
- Understand that you will not be paid for courses previously passed at NTCC or other institutions. The Department of Veteran's will not pay for the repeat of satisfactorily completed courses (grades of A, B, C), except under special circumstances.
Students called to Active Duty
If you are called to active duty (National Guard, Reservist) please contact the VA representative at NTCC immediately. You will need to provide a copy of your orders.
Types of Veterans Benefits accepted:
- Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill (Active Duty)
- Chapter 31 – Veteran Readiness & Employment (VR&E)
- Chapter 33 – Post-9/11 GI Bill
- Chapter 35 – Survivor & Dependent Educational Assistance (DEA)
- Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill (Selected Reserved/National Guard)
- State Tuition Exemption - Title 29 (Must be full time and maintain a 2.0 CUM GPA)
- Louisiana National Guard Tuition Only Waiver (Please contact the LA National Guard Education office to ensure eligibility of the tuition only waiver).
- Yellow Ribbon Program – NTCC does not currently participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program
Students using the following chapters are required to verify their enrollment on the last day of each month they are enrolled in order to receive payment from the VA:
- Chapter 30
- Chapter 1606
- Chapter 33
- Chapter 35
Military Transcripts (Credit for prior training)
Military transcripts are required by the Department of Veteran Affairs for any student who has served and is using benefits. Please follow the links below and have your official transcript sent electronically.
- All branches of service can order an official transcript here.
- Air Force Transcripts can be ordered officially at here.
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- How to Apply for VA Benefits
- Applying for Benefits using VONAPP
- Login to E-Benefits
- WAVE for Students to Verify Attendance
888-442-4551 – GI Bill Customer Service Line
877-823-2378 – GI Bill Enrollment Verification Line
NTCC Contact Information:
Gail Haydel, VA School Certifying Official
Please note: All required documents must be submitted as soon as possible before the start of classes. Any documents received after the start of classes will be processed, however, payment of benefits from the VA may be delayed. If documents are received late, please make payment arrangements to secure your classes.
**No VA student using Chapter 33 or Chapter 31 will be monetarily or academically penalized due to late payments from the VA according to PL-115-407 Section 103. VA payments are defined as money received at the institution to be paid toward tuition and eligible fees.
*In compliance with the Department of Defense Instruction (DoDI) 1322.25, NTCC provides academic and student services and does not participate in the use of unfair, deceptive, and abusive recruiting practices. NTCC adheres to Department of Education (DoE) guidelines in relation to incentive compensation.
IT IS OUR HONOR TO SERVE THOSE WHO HAVE SERVED.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.