Preparing for Online Courses
At NTCC, we understand that enrollment in an online course comes with unique experiences and expectations as compared to face-to-face classes. We've prepared this webpage to help you plan for success in an online course format.
Resources for Becoming Online Ready:
Become familiar with Canvas, NTCC's online course platform. Use the following link to access Canvas: https://www.northshorecollege.edu/canvas.
- To log-in, use your LoLA username and password. Our Canvas Learning Management System (LMS) digitizes class content delivery, making time for greater faculty / student interaction in the classroom and online.
- Students taking online courses for the first time are required to view the Canvas Student Guide prior to the start of class. Click here to access the Canvas Student Guide.
- Be sure to download the free Canvas app onto your smartdevice or smartphone: Canvas App Downloads
To protect student authentication and identity, Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor offers students the ability to take an online exam at any time and at a location of their choosing with the test session being recorded for later review by faculty. Monitor serves as an alternative to live test proctoring, while still helping to protect the integrity of online exams at NTCC. For help with using Canvas, click on the "Help" link located on the left side menu bar of your screen while in Canvas (a live person will help you 24/7) by a using the Canvas Support Toll-Free Hotline or a Chat with Canvas Support.
- Student Resources:
- Download Links:
- Lockdown Browser is not compatible with Chromebook devices.
As with face-to-face courses, students often need additional learning support outside of the classroom in the form of tutoring. NTCC partners with Smarthinking (powered by Pearson) to provide accessible online tutoring resources.
Click here to login (use your NTCC email and password): Smarthinking Online Tutoring
Steps to Success in an Online Environment
Review the tips below to help successfully navigate the transition to distance learning.
- Login to Canvas
- Log into Canvas regularly to check messages, announcements, discussion posts, and assignments.
- Check your NTCC email (GatorMail) at least once per day for important annoucements and messages from the College..
- Plan for Success
- Take time to write in a planner important dates and activities for your class including assignment due dates and upcoming exams for the entire semester. Online courses are often (but not always) offered in an "asychronus" format, meaning that you will have certain due dates for assignments and activities but may not meeting together as a class at the same time and space. As with both online and face-to-face courses, time and priority management are key to success. Be prepared to stick to create and stick to a schedule.
- Make Notes
- Make a note of all of your instructors preferred method of communication and make sure you know how to reach them and when their online office hours are. Contact your instructors immediately with any questions or concerns you have, or if anything is not clear to you.
- Work Space
- Set up a designated space with reliable technology and access. This space may be a desk at home or a quiet space that works well for you and allows you to focus.
- If you have any change in your circumstances and/or availability for your classes, communicate with your instructors immediately to let them know your situation and ask what you need to do to for course completion.
- Need Help?
- If you have documented disability accommodations, be sure to rcommunicate with your online course instructor(s). Questions about your accommodations, in general, can be emailed to email@example.com.
Click here to download the NTCC 7 Steps to Online Learning Infographic
Additional Resources and Tips:
- Academic Advising
- Academic Calendar
- Accessibility Services
- Career Services
- Catalog & Handbook
- Computer Labs (BookIt)
- Enrollment & Degree Verifications
- Financial Aid
- Gator Gear & Apparel
- Graduation & Commencement
- Learning Commons & Library
- Paying for College
- Policies & Offices
- Register for Courses
- Student Forms
- Student Organizations
- Student Success Coaching
- Technology Support
- Testing Services
- Textbooks & Gator Bookstore
- Transcript Request
- Tutoring Support
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.